Guest blogger: Lisa L. Payne
In order to be the greatest versions of ourselves, I believe we must first pay tribute to all the aspects that make us whole. This includes those aspects that we would like to keep out of the public eye. It is when we hide them, and pretend that they do not exist that the trouble begins. Once we create a facade, it is very difficult to undo. Along with the facade, comes the burden of having to maintain it. It is tiring. It makes us miserable.
Cardboard masks of all the people I’ve been
Thrown out, with all the rusted, tangled
dented God Damned miseries
This excerpt from my new book, What If They Knew? Secrets of an Impressive Woman, features the lyrics of Canadian singer/songwriter, Jann Arden, whose raw and relatable words have always touched a chord in me, even when I didn’t know why. As I captured the 101 confessions of Impressive Women in this book, I found myself wondering if my readers would experience something similar.
Have you ever felt like you were living a lie? Do you ever feel like everything you do is for someone else and you have forgotten what YOU truly value and desire? Have you lost your passion for life or feel like you no longer have a purpose?
It is more common than you might think to have these feelings. The feedback that I have received about the book and the other work that I have done as a coach and speaker confirms that we all make choices that do not serve us; we put up shields to protect ourselves; our hearts get hard; and, eventually, we forget who we truly are. Having been there, I can fully understand how you can feel trapped, tired and defeated. I know that torment. I also know what brilliance can be realized when you finally let go, stand in your truth, and step into your power.
- Get Present. In the present moment, without the regret of the past and worry about the future, take a deep breath and sit in silence. In that loving space, release your mask so you can see yourself fully.
- Get Real. Get up close and personal with all that you are: the good, the bad, the magnificent, and the ugly. Acknowledge the truth of your current reality and accept responsibility for your part in creating it.
- Get Over It. Acknowledge the pain that you are feeling because of the choices you have made and then… move on. Be grateful for the opportunity to learn and grow. Forgive yourself and heal.
- Get Clear. Visualize yourself as full self-expressed, honouring your core values, living a life of passion and purpose. Feel the freedom that comes with the truth and how wonderful it is to enjoy success as you define it.
- Get Engaged. Declare an unwavering commitment to live with integrity because you are worthy of a life that excites you. Connect to the deep fulfillment that you will experience when you achieve your goals.
- Get Serious. Every choice either brings you closer to or farther away from your dream, so back up your commitment with deliberate action. This is the space where you get to CREATE a life that excites you. No excuses!
- Get Support. Surround yourself with a community that loves and respects you for the contribution you are in this world. Stay in the conversation of empowerment and you will be rewarded with abundance at every turn.
There are times in my life where I have consciously created my experience and lived in authenticity, and many in between where I wore a tight mask to hide my true self. I know what it is to live a life without passion and to find it again. I know what it is to rediscover the truth and learn to love yourself fully.
It’s Your Time for a Fresh Start. Begin the journey of self-love. It is simply beautiful.
Yours in possibility,
President of Connections for Success Inc., Lisa is a Certified Professional Coach, holds a Master of Employment Relations and has 20 years management experience in the financial services industry. She currently serves as President of the Newfoundland & Labrador Association of Professional Speakers.
Lisa is the proud mom of two school-aged children who live with her in beautiful Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada.